On Wednesday, December 21st, the GLOBALFOUNDRIES-Town of Malta Foundation awarded the first wave of funding to support a variety of programs benefiting the local Malta community. The grant awards represent the first money distributed from the new GLOBALFOUNDRIES-Town of Malta Foundation, which was established in 2009 with the start of construction on the GLOBALFOUNDRIES Fab 8 project.
This first set of grants is comprised of $37,500 awarded to thirteen diverse local organizations providing unique and impactful programs. The complete list of grants awarded today includes:
- Captain Youth & Family Service: $5,000 towards the purchase of a new van for the Runaway and Homeless Youth Shelter in Malta
- Dunning Street Rural Cemetery: $2,500 for maintenance and improvement projects for historic landmark
- Junior Achievement of Northeastern NY: $4,600 for materials supporting practical economic education and learning experiences in 46 classrooms in 6 local elementary schools
- Literacy New York: $3,000 to expand English language instruction & educational programs
- Living Resources Corp: $3,050 to provide therapy scholarship help to children with multiple disabilities
- Malta League of Arts: $2,000 to support creative arts programs and events throughout the community in 2012
- Malta Ridge Cemetery Association: $2,500 for maintenance and improvement projects for historic landmark
- Malta Ridge Volunteer Fire Co. & Round Lake Hose Company: $2,500 for smoke detectors, batteries, and educational materials to be installed in local homes that do not currently have properly functioning smoke detectors
- Malta Seniors, Inc.: $1,000 to support social and cultural enrichment activities benefiting senior citizens in Malta
- Malta Sunrise Rotary Club: $2,000 to support the “Rebuilding Together Saratoga” Town of Malta Work Day event providing home and property repairs for families in need
- Malta Veterans Committee: $1,500 to sponsor the Fourth Annual Malta Military, Veterans & First Responders Parade in 2012
- Round Lake Auditorium: $4,700 for new sound, lighting, and A/V equipment in improve the Auditorium as an artistic, historic and community forum
- Rugrunners Robotics Club: $3,150 to help fund equipment and materials for competitive robotics club at Shenendehowa High School to promote Science, Technology, Engineering, Mathematics education
Chief Peter Shaw of the Malta Ridge Vol. Fire Co. Inc. said, “The facts are very clear, smoke alarms save lived. According to the National Fire Protection Association, 30 percent of homes are not adequately protected and 70 percent of home fire deaths in the U.S. occur in homes that don’t have a working smoke detector. Thanks to the GLOBALFOUNDRIES-Town of Malta Foundation grant, the Safe & Sound Program will have volunteer firefighters providing more than 600 FREE smoke detectors to homes that do not have properly functioning smoke detectors in the town of Malta and Village of Round Lake.”
As part of the development of the Fab 8 project, GLOBALFOUNDRIES is contributing a total of $5 million to fund two charitable foundations – one in the Town of Malta and one in the Town of Stillwater.
The GLOBALFOUNDRIES-Malta Foundation was developed to fund organizations, programs and projects that provide tangible benefits of a public nature to diverse groups located within the Town of Malta including, not-for-profit corporations, charitable organizations, community arts and theater groups, community historical sites, special events, education programs, and sports and recreation activities.
The GLOBALFOUNDRIES-Malta Foundation will continue to receive grant applications and award money earned as income from the initial investment from GLOBALFOUNDRIES. The Foundation will continue to look for projects that are creative, innovative, and inclusive in their scope and opportunities that will provide the maximum amount of benefit to the local Malta community.
Organizations and individuals seeking funding through the GLOBALFOUNDRIES-Malta Foundation must complete a funding application and return it to:
GLOBALFOUNDRIES-Malta Foundation, P.O. Box 2914, Malta, NY, 12020
The funding application can be downloaded from the Town of Malta’s Web site. Paper copies of the application can also be obtained from the Town of Malta or from GLOBALFOUNDRIES.